Add functions add a specific function to the workflow.
Following is the type of function available in Add function feature.
– Join and Generate Custom Variable
Join and Generate Custom Variable
This function is used to handle collection of data and then generate a single output variable for the user.
For example: In search documents scenario, we may have more than one documents when searched. Using Join and Generate custom variable, data will be provided as collection of documents. Using this function admins can handle the collection of data and send the output as single output. Let’s see how it works.
1. Click on new Action and then select the application (SharePoint), choose your workflow action and then connect the account (SharePoint)
2. Map appropriate fields using the ‘Variable Picker’ box and save the workflow action.
3. Now click on ‘+’ symbol and select ‘Add Function’
4. Select the function type as ‘Join and Generate Custom Variable’
5. Click on ‘Select Collection’ and choose the application (SharePoint) from the ‘Variable Picker’ box and select the output (Document Details)
6. Now click on ‘Create Custom Variable’ field, then create your own custom variable by selecting from the list collected in ‘Select Collection’ field.
7. Choose the type of separator using the ‘Separator’ field and click on Save.
There are 3 different types of separators
i) |n – using this, each search result would be displayed in a new line
ii) , (comma) – using this, each search result would be displayed in a single line separated with ‘,’ symbol
iii) – (Hyphen) – using this, each search result would be displayed in a single line separated with a ‘-‘symbol
The ‘Generated Output Model’ shows the admin how the data would be displayed to the end user depending upon the separator selected from the list.
8. A new custom variable named ‘Joined Output’ would be generated on the ‘Variable Picker’ box as an output field. As an example, cdmins can use this output field to display the data in chatbot conversation .